Clear Aligners Could Be Answer to Adult Smile Issues
- June 29, 2018
If you’re an adult who never got braces when you were younger, due to limited finances or other reasons, you may feel self-conscious about your smile. You’d like to straighten your teeth, but you worry that you’ll feel even more self-conscious with metal braces in your mouth. While you likely had classmates with braces, it’s less likely that coworkers are wearing them. So you’ll feel special – and not in a good way.
Clear aligners could be the answer to your smile problems. Aligners are soft plastic trays that fit snugly over your teeth. Over time, they gently move your smile into alignment.
To find out if they are right for your smile, call Gentle Dental Care at 860-479-2397.
Advantages of Clear Aligners
Because there are no metal brackets and wires, clear aligners are practically invisible. Most people probably won’t even realize you’re wearing them. They won’t stand out in your new LinkedIn profile or any other photo.
In addition, many people find aligners a lot more comfortable to wear than braces. The smooth, soft plastic won’t irritate your cheeks and gums the way that wires and brackets can. The average treatment time for clear aligners is 10 to 24 months, which is months shorter than the usual treatment time for metal braces.
But perhaps the biggest benefit of all is that you can remove the clear aligners. This makes it easy to keep both them and your teeth clean, since you can take them out for brushing and flossing. You can also remove them for meals, which means you can eat whatever you want without worrying about food getting stuck in your braces. If you’ve got a special occasion like a wedding, it’s OK to remove them for that too – just don’t do it too often.
Here’s How Your Clear Aligners Work
Dr. Thomas Peltzer will take X-rays, impressions of your teeth, and other measurements to create a custom treatment plan for you. He’ll send the specifications to a special lab, where your clear aligners are manufactured. When they arrive, he’ll check the fit of the first one and review your treatment plan with you.
You wear each set of aligners for about two weeks, then exchange them for the next one. They gently shift your teeth into place over time. You’ll visit our Plainville, CT dentist office for periodic checkups, so we can make sure your orthodontic treatment is on track.
Getting the Maximum Benefit From Clear Aligners
Here are some tips on getting the maximum benefit out of your clear aligners:
- Wear them the recommended amount of time. You should wear clear aligners for at least 20 hours a day. You should remove them only for eating or cleaning your teeth. Taking them out too frequently may result in a longer treatment time.
- Be careful when inserting them. You may want to use a mirror when inserting your aligners until you get the hang of it. Don’t ever bite aligners into, as that can damage them.
- Stick to the treatment plan. Always wear your aligners for the recommended period. Don’t be tempted to “jump ahead” if one feels loose.
- Keep clear aligners clean. Remove them before eating or drinking anything but water. Brush your teeth before putting them back in. Use a soft toothbrush and toothpaste to keep your aligners clean. If you can’t brush, rinse your mouth and your aligners before putting them back in.
- Avoid certain oral habits. Don’t smoke or chew gum while wearing aligners.
While clear aligners work well for many dental issues, they may not be the best orthodontic treatment for teeth that need to be moved vertically or for canines or premolars that need to be rotated. Dr. Peltzer can determine whether clear aligners or another treatment is best for your smile. Call 860-479-2397.