Dental Cleanings & Exams
Professional Dental Cleanings and Dental Exam From Plainville, CT Dentist Office
At your first visit to Gentle Dental Care, Plainville, CT dentist Dr. Thomas Peltzer will perform a thorough dental exam, take a full set of X-rays, and discuss your prior dental and medical history with you. He will advise you of any immediate concerns that need to be addressed, and together you will make a treatment plan to get your teeth and mouth in good condition. You will have the opportunity to ask questions and get answers about your care with us. Depending on the length of your consultation, you may have professional dental cleanings that day or schedule it for your next appointment.
Routine Dental Exam
For an established patient, a regular dental exam will be performed by Plainville, CT dentist Dr. Peltzer or one of our hygienists. Frequent checkups are very important. They give us the opportunity to note any changes or problems that have occurred since your last visit, so we can take action to fix them before they become major issues. Here is what to expect:
- Examination of your X-rays – to look for any signs of decay or bone loss.
- Periodontal exam – a checkup of your gums and supporting bone structure.
- Visual exam – a very detailed examination of every tooth surface, with the help of special instruments, to see if there is any tooth decay. We will also check on the condition of your fillings and restorations to make sure they are sound.
- Oral cancer screening – includes a visual dental exam of your oral cavity, including all soft tissues, and a physical exam of your face and neck. Any unusual areas will be noted for follow-up and treatment.
Professional Dental Cleanings
Professional dental cleanings are vital in the prevention of oral health complications. Even with regular brushing and flossing, there are areas a toothbrush can miss where plaque can build up. The purpose of a professional dental cleaning is to remove sticky plaque and stubborn tartar that has built up on the visible surface of the teeth and below the gumline. This deep dental cleaning and smoothing of the teeth makes it an unfriendly environment for bacteria, which can cause gum disease and ultimately tooth loss and infection.
- Tartar removal – tartar is hardened plaque that is attached firmly to the tooth surface both above and below the gumline and can be removed only with special dental instruments.
- Plaque removal – plaque is the sticky film that clings to the teeth. It is a combination of bacteria, food particles, and saliva. Plaque needs to be removed because it contains bacteria that release toxins that cause inflammation of the gums, and it hardens into tartar if left untreated.
- Tooth polishing – this step removes any plaque or tartar that remains on the tooth surfaces. Using special tools and a mild abrasive paste, polishing smooths the teeth so there are no rough surfaces for bacteria to take hold.
- Fluoride treatments and sealants are applied, if indicated.
What Else Can an Exam and Cleaning Treat?
We are able to diagnose and treat several other conditions through regular cleanings and dental exams – all just another part of our dedication to keeping your mouth healthy and happy!
- Dry Mouth – There are a wide variety of things that can cause a dry mouth, including prescription medication. If you’re concerned about this condition, we can discuss possible causes and solutions as part of the exam process.
- Geographic Tongue – Have you noticed white spots or fissures on your tongue? This rare condition is usually painless, but for some patients can cause discomfort, sensitivity, and a burning sensation that makes eating and drinking very uncomfortable! We can offer treatment to help you feel better!
- Bad Breath – Also known as halitosis, there are a number of potential causes for chronic bad breath, such as gum disease. A thorough exam will allow us to determine the causes, as well as perform a saliva test to find out of there is an imbalance of chemicals in your mouth. We can treat bad breath by cleaning as well as offering brushing and mouthwash solutions!
We want to be your partners in great oral health. To do this, we recommend that you have a professional dental cleanings and dental exam at least twice a year. Plainville, CT dentist Dr. Peltzer will evaluate your specific case and let you know if you need to be seen more frequently, especially if you are at risk for gum disease and tooth decay.
Dental cleanings are extremely important in dentistry and there are multiple reasons why. There are systemic reasons because the cleaner a person keeps their mouth, the less chance they are of succumbing to multiple medical issues such as diabetes and heart disease and there have been a lot of studies proving that. We see patients that have been very reliable coming in for their cleanings and taking very good care of their teeth and then we see the opposite spectrum as well where patients need a lot of extra help in terms of what to do in areas they are missing so we try to practice a non-judgmental approach towards that kind of thing. Being a sedation practice and treating a lot of patients with sedation as well as non-sedation, some of these folks haven’t been to a dentist in 30 years and they have huge needs for not only cleanings but gum therapy as well so we offer the full spectrum of polishing teeth, cleaning them up to make them look really nice to outright active gum treatment.
Do not be afraid to come in, even if you have not been to the dentist in a long time. We will not lecture you. It is very rewarding for us to help our patients get back on track with great oral health! Call Plainville, CT dentist office at 860-479-2397 to make an appointment, or use our online form to contact us. Your teeth will thank you!
GET OUR FREE E-BOOK
In pain? Let us help! Fill out the form below for more information on achieving great oral health!