Denture Options From Plainville, CT Dentist Office
Dentures are prosthetic dental appliance used to replace missing teeth and surrounding tissue. It is supported by the surrounding soft and hard tissues of the oral cavity. Dentures in Plainville, CT are made to closely resemble your natural teeth and gums, improving your appearance and helping you chew and speak as normally as possible.
Gentle Dental Care offers several denture options, including traditional removable dentures and overdentures that are supported or retained using implants.
Dentures are a very common procedure. We have a lot of what I call ‘denture mills’ in the area where you just walk in and it’s almost like you put your hand in a bucket and pull out a pair of teeth to see if they fit and I kind of laugh about that. We get a lot of patients from those types of places that are very unhappy with their dentures so we have to remake dentures unfortunately. But, when they come here first, it is a process of very meticulous impression making and molding. We do talk with them initially about the options of utilizing implants and other means of holding the dentures in place and there are a number of different ways of doing that which work very successfully but depending on their interest, their budget, their fear level, etc., we can offer a number of those different options. Many times an upper denture will stay in adequately but the lower dentures are just floating all over the place and the patients want to be able to click them onto a couple of implants or four implants that can support the lower dentures and that is a really common procedure that can change a person’s life because all types of patients who come in say “well I never wear them unless I go out and I have to be careful because they are going to pop out”. So we will put a couple implants in and connect the implants to the dentures and people say yeah, these are great, they aren’t my own teeth but they are really, really good and now I don’t feel self-conscious in social situations, I can chew my food, I don’t have to worry about what I order off the menu and so they do still have dentures but they are dentures that are secure and solid and they don’t have to wear all that goopy adhesive type of stuff that many people do rely on and people are delighted with the final result.
Traditional Removable Dentures
There are two main removable denture options: complete (full) and partial.
A complete denture is used to replace a whole arch of missing teeth. There are also two complete denture options: conventional and immediate.
- Conventional – made after the teeth have been removed and the gum tissue has healed, usually taking 4 to 6 weeks. You may go without teeth or have temporary dentures until you heal.
- Immediate – made in advance and immediately placed after the teeth are removed, preventing the patient from having to be without teeth during the healing process. Once the tissues shrink and heal, adjustments will have to be made.
A partial is used to replace several missing teeth in an arch where some natural teeth remain. It consists of replacement teeth attached to a pink or gum-colored plastic base. Partials can be made with metal or gum-colored clasps to anchor them to neighboring teeth. A partial denture not only fills in the spaces created by missing teeth, but it also prevents other teeth from shifting.
Overdentures with Implants
Do you already wear dentures but would love the added stability that implants can bring? We have the perfect solution in our implant retention systems! Using your existing dentures, we can modify them with one of two systems, either bar-retained or ball-retained, which will allow your denture implants to securely snap into place on implants that are placed in your jaw. It’s an amazing solution that will still allow you to take your dentures out in the evening – and you won’t even need a new set!
- Bar-retained dentures – Using the implants placed in your jaw, we’ll attach a bar that contains a small ridge. By modifying your dentures to include several clasps, you’ll be able to snap your dentures firmly in place!
- Ball-retained dentures – We’ll restore your implants with a series of metal balls, and your dentures will be modified to contain sockets. You’ll simply pop your dentures in place each day and experience a great new stability in your smile that you didn’t know was possible!
The most secure and permanent denture option is a denture secured permanently to dental implants. If you are a good candidate for dental implants, we will evaluate how many implants would give you the best support for your permanent dentures.
- All-on-4 – a full set of upper or lower replacement teeth (denture) secured permanently to four dental implants.
- All-on-6 – a full set of upper or lower replacement teeth (denture) secured permanently to six dental implants.
Dr. Thomas Peltzer is nationally known as an expert in the field of sedation dentistry and dental anesthesia. As Connecticut’s premier sedation dentist, Dr. Peltzer is honored to be a member of the prestigious American Society of Dentist Anesthesiologists and attends hundreds of hours of additional Advanced Anesthesia Continuing Education per year to stay up-to-date on the latest developments in sedation dentistry.
Make an Appointment for Teeth Replacement
If you are ready to explore any of our denture options with our Plainville, CT dentist Dr. Thomas Peltzer, call Gentle Dental Care for denture repair or work at 860-479-2397, or use our online form to contact us.
GET OUR FREE E-BOOK
In pain? Let us help! Fill out the form below for more information on achieving great oral health!