Dental Emergency Care From Plainville, CT Dentist Office
When you have a dental emergency, it is important to be seen by a dentist right away. Injuries from trauma or even a toothache can develop into a serious problem very quickly and may become more complicated and costly to address later.
Gentle Dental Care is open five days a week, and you never need an appointment to see Dr. Thomas Peltzer when you have an emergency. Just call us and, if possible, we will get you taken care of that same day with our Plainville, CT dentist.
Common Dental Emergencies and What to Do
- Toothache or mouth pain should never be ignored. Pain is your body telling you something is wrong. When it comes to dental pain, it does not usually go away on its own. More often, it gets worse. Rinse your mouth with warm water and apply a cold compress to the outside of your cheek over the painful area. Get to Gentle Dental Care as soon as possible.
- A broken or knocked-out tooth can be traumatic. Quick thinking can save your tooth. Pick up the knocked-out tooth (or its pieces), rinse with warm water (being careful not to touch the root), and place it in a small container of milk or your saliva. Call us to see Dr. Peltzer right away.
- An injury to teeth or other tissues of the mouth needs immediate attention. Apply pressure to the affected area to stop any bleeding. Gently rinse your mouth with warm water. If a tooth is loose, be careful not to bite down. Come to our office. If a severe injury occurs when our office is not open, especially if there is excessive bleeding, go directly to the nearest dental emergency room. Call our office the next day for a follow-up appointment.
- A broken restoration or filling that has come out may not seem like an emergency, but it is urgent that you be seen right away. A tooth that has a filling or crown missing makes the tooth vulnerable to infection, because the restoration was covering a portion of your tooth that no longer has protective enamel. It’s important for the area to be cleaned and restored immediately. Use denture adhesive or sugar-free gum to place the filling or crown back on the tooth, and call our office to be seen right away.
- An abscess is caused by an infection that occurs around the tooth roots and gums. If left untreated, it can damage the surrounding teeth and gums and even spread infection to the rest of your body. Rinse your mouth with warm salt water. Abscesses can get very painful very quickly, so call for an emergency appointment immediately.
Prevent Dental Injuries
Many dental injuries occur while playing sports or participating in physical recreational activities. To prevent injury to yourself or your favorite athlete, we strongly recommended that you get an athletic mouthguard to be worn during any sports or activities where impact is a risk. A mouthguard acts as a shock absorber and can protect your teeth, gums, lips, tongue, jaw, and even your brain. Make an appointment to get your mouthguard in your choice of colors.
Do Not Wait to Call Us!
Dental emergency services do not usually adhere to scheduled appointments. Even if you are not currently a patient of Dr. Peltzer, we would be happy to help you and see you as soon as possible. Just call our Plainville, CT dentist office at 860-479-2397, and we will get you in that day. If you have an after-hours emergency, call and leave a message or page Dr. Peltzer to make arrangements for a dental emergency care and appointment.
GET OUR FREE E-BOOK
In pain? Let us help! Fill out the form below for more information on achieving great oral health!